Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Very Merry Christmas

Few people know of the time in the early seventies when Stevie Wonder and I collaborated on a Christmas song. He wrote the tune and I penned the lyrics.

The first few bars were so funky and my lyrics were so hip, there was no doubt in my mind that the song would become a tremendous hit.

I was half right.

Stevie decided that the tune was too good to be confined to seasonal airplay. He severed our partnership, rewrote the lyrics, and Superstition was born. My musical career never took off.

But in the spirit of the season, I've decided to forgive and forget. And I'd like to share with you the original version of the song, taken straight from its first recording in Stevie Wonder's basement (hence the imperfections in sound quality).

A Mixon/Wonder collaboration and near-classic hit, I give you...Very Merry Christmas.

No comments: