Saturday, December 20, 2008

Give


I found this little piece of art* a few years ago at a flea market. I think I bought it for $5.

I used to display it on my bookcase, beside an empty bowl, as a joking request for donations. But when I took the bowl away, I found that that little block of wood made a powerful statement standing all by itself.

Give.

When I'm not giving enough, the universe lets me know. This year, the universe sent somebody to rob my apartment. It pissed me off initially, but then I got hip to what the universe was trying to tell me: You have so much. What are you giving back?

I attend Glide Memorial Church. Every time I go there I see people lined up around the block, waiting for food. Glide feeds people 3 times a day, 365 days a year, but during the Christmas season the giving really amps up. They provide new toys for the children of the Tenderloin and bags of groceries for families in need. This year they ran out of grocery bags. This year, more people are hungry.

I walk past the food line twice a week. I know that not much separates me from the folks who rely on Glide's meals. Every time I get an unemployment check, I remember that.

And yet, I still struggle with the act of giving. My savings account is in the low four figures. It's easy to tell myself that I don't have enough money to share.

But then someone like my friend Mark reminds me that my gift creates an opportunity for somebody else. My contribution, no matter how small, may help somebody rebuild their life. Mark lifted the offering at church a few weeks ago and he shared his story. I was moved to tears by all that he had, all that he lost, and all that he's gained.


Give from Errin M on Vimeo.

I give money to Glide because I see real people putting their lives back together with Glide's assistance. I smell the food wafting up from the kitchen during service; I see the line of people who come to eat. I've seen the new Teen Center and the computer lab; I know the Health Clinic will accept me if I need medical care. I found help at the prayer circle when I was last unemployed; I go to Speak Out to hear the voices of my community. There is help to be found there, but more people than ever are in need.

And you know what? I can afford to give.

Who will you give to this year?


*The artist is Albert Reyes.

2 comments:

meaghs said...

I have been feeling the same way lately. My boss introduced me to the IRC and I donated what money I could to them to help provide clothing, household items and toys to the refugee families in SLC

http://www.theirc.org/

Can you imagine having to start completely over, especially in the US? Or trying to find a job while learning a new language and adjusting to a new country? Or working at a fast food restaurant after being a doctor in your home country? I really can't imagine what that must feel like.

Arin said...

Great message. Whenever we can afford to give, we give to Glide. The change they make in the world and in people's lives is tangible and hard to deny. In fact, When homeless people in the city ask us for money, we often tell them to go to Glide.