Monday, July 28, 2008

World Hoop Day

Guess what? August 8th is World Hoop Day!

I can't believe I almost missed out on this! Despite my obsession with hooping over the past five months, it somehow escaped my attention that in less than two weeks is the most important hooping event of the year!

I am so excited.

First of all, I'm a sucker for anything that warrants its own Day. From Bike to Work Day to Bagel Day, I am an active participant in them all.

In fact, here I am, happily celebrating Gay Pride at this year's Pride parade. See my shirt? I made that! (Click photo to enlarge.)


That event was a double-whammy because I actually hooped in the parade. My friend Amanda and I passed the hoop back and forth all the way down Market Street. It was a blast! We waved at the crowds and sang along with the music blaring from the Glide float. Just a couple of hetero-fabulous babes, getting our hoop on.



So I am thrilled that hooping has its own bona fide Day.

The premise of World Hoop Day is to encourage an active, healthy lifestyle and advance the spread of world peace. The aim is to provide at-risk youth with a means of recreation that promotes joy as well as fitness. Hoops are donated and distributed to children living in poverty all around the world. Several hundred hoops have been raised in the Bay Area and will be dispensed to kids with need at the event on 08/08/08.

Now listen, friends: This is a call to the hoop. We should all get together and rock the hell out of World Hoop Day. The event is on Treasure Island from 2:00 to 9:00 PM next Friday. I say we leave work at 4:00 and head to the Island for an evening of hooping madness.

Email me if you're in, and we'll set up a car pool. I can bring extra hoops for those who don't have one. And afterward we should all go out for dinner!

Oh yeah, and you're encouraged to dress like a pirate -- that's the theme this year. (Treasure Island and whatnot.)

I would like to take it one step further and encourage you to also talk like a pirate. Even though International Talk Like a Pirate Day isn't until September 19th, we could all do with a bit of practice. Am I right?

I'll see you at the hoopening!

SPIN IT!

No comments: