Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dedication

I used to journal regularly. I have piles of mismatched notebooks, chronicling the events of my life from the seventh grade onward. I still carry a moleskin around with me, in hopes that I'll resume the practice. But the sad fact is, I can't write by hand anymore. My fingers cramp up after a couple of paragraphs and my penmanship gets worse all the time. It kind of sucks the joy out of the entire practice.

Besides, by the time I sit down to write, I've usually already relayed the story to one friend or another over email. In fact, I realized that email has become my new method of journalism. It's my favorite and most common way of expressing myself.

The only problem with email is that I wind up copy-and-pasting the same story into different conversations, over and over again, until I'm sick to death of it. If only there were some place where I could post my stories and people could log on and read them!

Enter the blog.

I didn't really consider blogging until somewhat recently. My friends all told me that I should have one, that my emails were worth sharing, but I didn't think I was a subject of enough interest. But then I discovered that THEY all have THEIR own blogs! Turns out, chronicling your life online is the thing to do. I was just about the only person in my knitting group who didn't have one. Suddenly I felt very left out.

So I decided to do it. 'I will blog!' I said to myself. 'I will blog!' I said to my friends. And (about a year and a half later) I created this online journal.

This blog is dedicated to my friends who have laughed at my emails and urged me to share. I hope I'm still a good read now that I'm a published author. I'll try not to let it go to my head.

1 comment:

Chris and Penny said...

bravo for the blog. looking forward to reading on a regular basis. you are in my blogreader, so i won't miss a single post.