Wednesday, November 5, 2008

People get ready

I went to bed last night at 7:30 PM in a very foul mood. Losing my job had me terribly depressed. I couldn't even bear to watch the election coverage; I just wanted to go to sleep.

I woke up with a start in the middle of the night - there were firecrackers going off outside my window. And there was cheering in the streets; it sounded like the entire block was partying. Car horns were blaring, voices were shouting in celebration. I peered through my blinds but couldn't see anyone; my window faces the wrong way. I thought for a moment about throwing a coat over my pajamas and racing off to find the party, but instead I lay back down and said a fervent prayer of thanks. I let the sounds of my neighbors' cheering lull me back to sleep.

Barack Obama is president! It's a new world order, folks.

Yesterday my father wrote this email to his family:

Do you remember when we were really young, when Daddy would call Mama from the kitchen, "Lenore, come look, come look at this!" On the television would be someone like Sammy Davis, Jr., Nat King Cole or Ella Fitzgerald -- and it was so unusual to see a black person on TV! Do you remember watching news coverage of the marchers in Alabama being hosed, or shots of snarling dogs? I do. And I remember trips to Mississippi to visit Big Mama when we had to use the "Colored" toilets at gas stops; and we couldn't drink from the "Whites" water fountain.

Once I remember Uncle Landie allowing Ronnie and me to drive to town with him. When he went into the hardware store he asked Ronnie to watch me and I didn't know why, since Ronnie was only a couple of years older than me. I wandered a few doors down the street to look at a movie poster and Ronnie grabbed me by the arm, pulling me away, saying "you can't be seen lookin' at that white woman". He was afraid and protecting me from looking at a movie poster! At that young age I was confused about how messed up things were. I was too naive to understand that a picture could have gotten me killed.

I have other memories of being the first or only black to have a certain job. Once while working at TV6 an ABC Network Correspondent, Mal Goode, visited our station from New York. He was the first black network correspondent hired by any network. When he walked into the studio he noticed me as the only black there. He came over and offered quiet encouragement, urging me to not give up. His words meant a lot to me.

Imagine how Barack Obama will encourage children in this country! I think about the image of his family getting on Marine 1 and lifting off the White House lawn and the symbolism makes me cry with happiness. This bi-racial man represents profound change and the ability to inspire all of us.

In 1988 while on a trip to Mississippi and Louisiana, I found a picture of our great-great grandparents, Louis and Sarah Watson. Aunt Minnie gave me the large framed version, having me dig it out from under a pile of stuff in her barn. After it was wrapped I talked to them and felt connected through the picture sitting on the front seat of my rental car as I drove to the airport in New Orleans for the trip home.

They had been slaves. They never dreamed this day would come. A Black President.

Since I've been researching our history it has become part of me; making me really, really think about our nation's history and how our family fits into the pages of that history. That is why I'm trying to find and restore old photos and capture the memories we each have, hoping that if Kiki, Errin or Matthew ever have children they can share it with them.

My sadness is that Mama, who was born before women had the right to vote, won't be able to vote tomorrow. The good news is that Barack's grandmother and our father have great seats so they can watch history being made.

I've studied the maps and the polls. I'll be tracking the Electoral Vote along with some key Senate races; especially North Carolina, Minnesota and Arkansas. This is shaping up to be historic on several levels.

Tomorrow we're going to make something special to celebrate Election Day and of course, pop a bit of Champagne when the time comes. I've warned Rodgner and Barb that I'm going to get teary. I'm ain't even going to pretend it won't happen.

Pray for his family and his safety.

I love you.




People get ready. There's a change coming.

1 comment:

Chris and Penny said...

ok, now I'm crying again. jeesh! thanks alot. :) love the email from your dad. oh, i am just so happy today, and I can't believe that this day has finally come. is it january yet???