Monday, April 27, 2009

A Tribute to Rev

Last night I attended a tribute concert for the late Ron Stallings, a much loved Bay Area musician, who died two weeks ago today.

I knew Ron through Glide. A year or more ago, he was a temporary regular with the Glide musicians, known as the Change Band. Ron sat in on the sax.

Ron was there the day I first sang Smile Again. Filled with nerves after a horrendous rehearsal, I was shocked and delighted to deliver a rousing performance. It was one of those moments that you dream about, where everything goes right and that thunderous applause lifts you right out of your shoes. Afterward, he came up and shook my hand. "You're very talented," he said.

I didn't know who he was, beyond the pinch-hitter sax player. I didn't know he'd played with the Temptations, the Dells, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight, Boz Scaggs, Louis Bellson and Huey Lewis and The News, just to name a few. I didn't know that he was a saxophonist, flutist, composer and singer, or that he'd played all around the world. I just thought he was very kind to say that to me.

My first inkling that he was ill came one day during Sunday service. The sopranos stand next to the band and I was on the end, closest to the horns. Ron kept sitting down on the edge of the risers, sometimes while the rest of the band was playing. I leaned over and asked if he was all right. Did he need a chair? Some water? He assured me that he was fine, but he spent more time sitting than standing that day. Shortly afterward Ron left the band.

I ran into him several months later at the local farmers market. He was surprised that I remembered him. "Of course I remember you," I said. "When are you coming back to Glide?"

"Oh, one of these days, I expect," he said, smiling. "You keep on singing."

That was the last time I saw him.

Last night's tribute concert was packed to bursting with folks who came out to pay their respects. The music was fantastic, but I was mostly touched by the standing-room-only crowd, the line of people who waited outside through intermission, still hoping to make it in.

"What a life," I said to Monte. "Look how many people he touched."

Certainly I didn't know him well, but I will always remember the kind words he spoke to me on an important day in my life. This is my small tribute to him.

1 comment:

Jenevra said...

This is so cool, Errin. Love and prayers to Ron and his family..I remember him well.