Wednesday, April 29, 2009

errinmarie dot com

You'll notice that the blog format looks different. That's because my web designer is trying to match it to my website, only Blogger's templates are a little bit tricky to work with. She's battling with the header and the sidebar. So the blog will be in flux over the next couple of days as we struggle to make it progressively cooler.

However, the website is just about done! There will continue to be the odd change or two, and the media page is going to undergo a revamp, but for the most part www.errinmarie.com is complete! Check it out!

I've been excited about my website for so long, and now that it's actually live I feel strangely hesitant about making the announcement. I'm trying to figure out why that is.

It started as just a small idea. "You need a website," my web designer said to me awhile back. I shrugged.

"I don't really have any content," I said. "I'm not sure what I'd put on a website."

"Well, just a page, then," she persisted. "With your contact info at least. You need some kind of web presence so people can find you and then hire you and make you famous."

"That does sound good," I agreed.

And that's all it was supposed to be. But as time passed the web page grew into a website, and the website grew into an awesome website, and then the awesome website threatened to overshadow my meager message.

"I need content," implored my web designer and I wrung my hands in distress.

"Yeah, I told you, I don't have much of that," I said.

"Can you give me something?" she begged. "Anything."

So I wrote. I used text to fill up the holes where my music should be. I scripted a bio page the length of Moby Dick. I concocted wordy blog posts to divert your attention from the fact that I don't have any recordings, or upcoming performances, or, um, plans.

And as the website matured in its cocoon of ever-growing awesomeness, its reputation preceding it by miles ("Yes, my website is coming soon! Stay tuned!"), I've awaited its birth with unease. Because when that site goes live, I know I'm going to have to deal with a whole new level of expectation. You know what I'm talking about. The dreaded: "Now what?"

For it is not enough to simply announce yourself to the world. Oh, you can throw your arms wide and declare, "Hey world, here I am!" But the world will merely glance at you over its morning coffee and go back to surfing the internet for stupid pet tricks. No, you've got to have something more to grab the world's attention. You have to do something.

For the moment, I'm just going to do this:

Look at me! from Errin M on Vimeo.

I hope it's enough.

2 comments:

Katie Burke said...

Errin, there is no one more wonderful than you! You're fabulous ... marvelous, darling!

After watching this lovely video, I feel no need to search the Internet for stupid pet tricks. Interpret that however you will. (Just joking, of course! See Paragraph 1 of this comment, above!)

Congratulations on the new website!

jonahknight said...

hehe