Thursday, February 12, 2009

Well, I was proud of me

I just rode my bike home from the grocery store, laden on all sides with packages. I had two carrier bags hanging from my bike rack, one bag strapped to the top and a heavy canvas tote slung over my shoulder. My balance was precarious and I rode on the sidewalk to avoid careening into traffic.

Directly in my path, and headed in my direction, was a couple walking their puppy. I realized that we were going to pass each other right at the trickiest part of the sidewalk: that place where a small tree would force me to navigate inward. I could only keep my momentum going by pedaling; if I stopped I was likely to tip over.

I narrowed my eyes and approached the couple with keen concentration. "Easy," cautioned the man as we drew abreast of one another. This was the moment: with deft maneuvers I steered around the tree and then veered around the couple. We slid past each other with absolute ease.

"Good girl!" praised the man, and I beamed.

Then I realized he was talking to his dog.

No comments: