Monday, January 19, 2009

A day of service

In regard to the two great men we honor this week, my father wrote this email to me today:

Over the years my memories have faded. I was seventeen when he was killed. Like most people I've distilled his essence into a few phrases from memorable speeches, focusing on the ideals he stood for. I was impacted by the dignity in his voice, his bearing and his courage. Along with Thurgood Marshall he is one of my greatest heroes. He represented the heart of a movement we all supported.

Before his death events accelerated. Some did not believe his approach would work and they publicly criticized him. I remember my mother calling us into the living room when he appeared on television, and our fear for the lives of marchers when dogs and water hoses threatened in Birmingham.

I remember National Guardsmen on the streets of Milwaukee during the summer of '67.

When he was taken from us the following year, I remember white hot grief, speechlessness and profound sadness. The Dreamer was dead and I didn't know whether the world really had a place for me. How could I believe in possibility again? Like many young people I wrapped myself in a cloak of skepticism.

Fortunately there were others to inspire me: teachers, poets, musicians and political leaders who demanded fairness and a bigger stake in America. I discovered the importance of service to others and through service, rekindled my own dream of America. Four decades were filled with family, career and the renewing optimism of my children. They were well protected and provided for so why wouldn't they assume anything is possible?

Then came Obama: A cultural amalgam of high intelligence and unbridled eloquence.

Of him we expect amazing things; perhaps someday worthy of his own holiday.

Let's all enjoy this Day of Service!

I am off to sing at the MLK celebration in San Francisco - and I'm running late!

How will you serve today?

1 comment:

Arin said...

I'm about to set out to get donations from local businesses for my son's preschool fundraiser. His school has been helping Oakland kids learn how to share, play together, and respect and love each other for more than fifty years. Who knows--perhaps a future Martin Luther King Jr. or US President is among them!